A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, May 16, 2005

New American Dream

I was talking to my mother the other day about the possibility of selling our (as if i helped buy it.. i mean her) house and making a relocation.. it's been a long time coming. She told me about the prices of houses in every city and how the seller's market is just getting out of hand. She explained how the sellers market is working these days. People that have been living in their homes for about 10-20 years have either paid up their mortgage or are mostly done paying. After such an investment no one is willing to sell their house for less than they bought it for and due to changing economy etc., are more likely to sell the house at a much higher price than they bought it for. The only people selling at reasonable prices are those who bought a house, lived there for only 5 years or less and must relocate for some reason. This is very simplistic I know..

I thought to myself wow, with the increase in housing prices, has the American dream changed? Decades before our time it was all about the image of the immigrant rising up through hard work and education to make enough money to live comfortably. Or the regular joe and jane shmoe family where a couple bought a house, a car, and had a perfect family enclosed within a white picket fence. My mother joked that today, an immigrant couldn't even buy space in a kitchen, much less a house. So what is the fate of our generation - those who won't be settling down and having kids for another 5-10 years? Again, my mother interjects: "Honey, the American Dream has changed." Now the American Dream is about finding that good job (should be read high paying job) that allows you to live comfortably.. the job comes first. And with many more people getting college degrees, you might as well use your diploma to wipe your ass when you run out of toilet paper. More than that, when it comes to family, as my mom describes the situation, women have much more bargaining power. Also recieving higher education at a higher rate, women are now at a level where they can look at a man and say "what is your earning potential AND your IQ?" If its not up to par and we can't work together to own a home, keep on moving. Moreover, the power gained by women has put more pressure on men to find a way to be the best providers they can be.

As I continued the conversation I almost became dizzy. What a different world we're living in. Just as we learned about the culture our parents grew up in while in grade school, our kids will learn of what our generation struggled through and the accomplishments we extolled as our ideals.. and it looks like, on the surface at least, its going to be a lot different from what we learned about American ideals of generations before. I mean the basics are still there, work hard now for the big pay off later... but the pay off we all want seems to be much bigger than many before us could have imagined. Not only that, but the work needed to get to the pay off has increased as well.

It really makes you wonder though. Adolescent psychologists commonly speak of the extention of adolescence to one's early 20's these days since so many more people are going to college and depend on their parents for a longer amount of time. Subsequently, people are marrying later and later.. This does not seem to match up well with our biologies. Our biological clocks say "Have babies earlier women or take the chance of having a fucked up kid come from crusty fucked up eggs.." Then again, you can always freeze your eggs when you're young so you can have them when you're ready to have kids later!

Well I guess that's what science is for.. to keep human biology in step with changes in culture and society... Interesting.. But I digress..

The changing american dream.. my mother's advice? Work damn hard so you can be in a social circle of people who have the same qualifications as you do and make sure you marry the best of the best. If you think you're not with the best of the best, drop them immediatly as they are only keeping you from your goal. And even if you do find the best you can do, be prepared to be living in a one room hell hole for a while until some bank approves you for a loan you'll be paying until you die.

Happy living! :)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elsie, it's Kate. I love this post: witty, sarcastic, contemplative. It is your greatest achievement.

12:40 AM  
Blogger Kel The Younger said...

I recently asked a friend to rank what she wants in a guy: loyalty, intelligence, warmth, income potential, and looks. She said
1. loyalty
2. intelligence
3. warmth
4. looks
5. income potential
I was like, "Yes! That's what I want in a woman!" But then she said 2 through 5 will switch around depending on the day of the week. I think it's pathetic to place income potential above those other traits. A *guy* could just as easily require the *woman* to have a high salary. It becomes a vicious cycle - when is it enough? I almost *never* tell people I graduated from Stanford - I don't like the stereotype they inevitably place me in. Likewise, I will pretty much never indicate what my income level is to a mate until I trust her. I keep my money in the bank, so she'll never see a fancy car or fancy house. She needs to love numbers 1-3 about me (she doesn't have to think I'm a hottie, as long as she's loyal to the other things she sees in me!) So this raises the question of how many other people are like that - what makes you think you'll always be able to tell what someone's income level is? Most of the people who let on about this right away are arrogant asses who like to brag about it. I think to some degree there is wisdom in looking at a person's "family member" potential, that is, not just their ability to make money but their ability to be a good husband / father / wife / mother. But I also think the hammer of justice will crash down on people who try to marry for "strategic positioning" instead of concern for their mate. But hey, if that's your cup of tea, don't get thy lonely widow pillows too wet with tears...

10:04 PM  
Blogger GyangBang said...

Well for me if I personally had to rank I think i'd put:
1. Intelligence
2. Income potential
3. looks
4. loyalty
5. warmth

This might look superficial to some, but in all honesty I'm not shallow in my demands of a potential partner. Since, for one, what I offer has to be comparable to what someone else is offering me, but better. I worked my butt off to establish my career and a parnter had better have done the same.. why else would I be with someone if i'm not gaining anything out of it? I say "better" b/c I assume that if you haven't had to struggle with what I've struggled through (e.g. immigrating to the US and being poor as hell) then you already had a head start.

I don't especially need the warmth as I'm not good at being emotionally involved with people.. And knowing most men's nature, the loyalty I need boils down to a goverment contract between a married couple..

Besides that, I definetly don't approach the whole situation like a skank gold-digger deciding a man's worth from the kind of watch he wears or the kind of car he drives, or how much he has in his bank account. To immediatly decide on a person's value based on those facts alone I will admit is shallow. The first thing I look for is how a guy treats me and how he looks at life in general. If he proves himself to be a good guy, then we can see what else there is to offer.. again.. I'm offering the same.

In any case, we can argue until we're blue in the face as to which of all these values should be more important, b/c when it comes down to it, its of individual preference. But as my mom says, when you know what YOU want in a person, one day you'll run into them and you'll just know.. without the stats and random extraneous details..

So in the end, its about knowing what you want and being open minded enough to know that you'll find it..

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF??? WHAT ABOUT GOOD IN BED???????????????????????? THAT IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS. I demand a rematch, with that included now.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Kel The Younger said...

But the extraneous details are *fun* to list! :-)

You women always bend the rules - you say that if a guy treats you well etc, but that's not an option (OK, the rules are really harsh here, but the thing is you must *choose*, hypothetically, between each thing!) So when you say, if he treats you well etc, that's putting warmth above everything else. The rules are you can't have both things - you gotta rank 'em, every trait that's below another being that much less expressed in his person! :-)

Anonymous, that's a good point. Haha...that's a really good point! Hmm...I'd stick "good in bed" right above "looks" in my list! :-) Els? ;-)

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you want a divorce, Elsie?

2:42 AM  
Blogger GyangBang said...

AHH! So you've all discovered how deep my hipocrisy runs. FINE so I do want warmth and loyalty. All I'm saying though is that income potential and looks are important to me.. good in bed is important too i guess.. damn you all! this is hard :( I give up. From now on its on a "i'll know it when i see it" basis. And no, I don't want a divorce dot (haha i know its you from your tone)

10:52 AM  
Blogger The Grave Digger said...

1. Loyalty to nation
2. Intelligent Design
3. Warm Blooded
4. Looks male
5. Incoming call potential

11:18 AM  
Blogger Kel The Younger said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Kel The Younger said...

Elsie is using the "hopeless romantic" excuse to bail on the list; no breaking love down for her. 'tis all intuition, huh? Hehe...oh fine - be that way! :-)

Marisa, you sound like the marine in A Few Good Men:
Unit!
Corps!
God!
Country!
Hehe. :-)

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home