A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, February 03, 2007

The impossible may be happening

I'm sure I've bored you all to death with my constant whining about my classmates. But it seems like the impossible is starting to happen. I'm starting to not dislike..all.. of them. The reason for this really goes back to why I disliked them in the first place. I don't like pretending to like people if I don't know them. And before I know a person, I usually find them to be annoying. I guess its because, without knowing a person, I have no context in which to put their personality and behavior in so its just really annoying.

Por ejemplo:

We had a class where a psychiatric patient came in and talked about her depression. One of my classmates which I found to be particularly annoying asked the following, "I come from a family that has dealt with depression a lot and I know that when someone is depressed, a lot of times they are really trying to get better but its really hard for them. Were there anythings that gave you hope to keep trying in your battle with depression?"

After he said that, he stopped annoying me. Why? B/c now I know why he's so obnoxious. If you're young and growing up with a family member with depression, it can often be the case that you try to carry the burden of cheering the person up. You try to make jokes, be happy all the time, or direct attention from their depression in any possible way. Thus, why this guy is such an attention-whore! Knowing a small part of his story has made me dislike him.. less.

Also, we've had to do a couple of projects in small groups that have pretty much forced me to listen to my classmates and get to know some of them better. Now that I know some of their background, I can judge them less harshly I guess.

I'm not saying i'm going to be partying with them any time soon or adding them as facebook friends. But, it kind of reinforces my original belief that I don't just dislike people b/c I like disliking them. But if I only get to know you on a superficial level, just because you're pleasant doesn't mean I should like you. Truly awful people can be pleasant for a few moments in their day. But once I get to know that deep down..deep, deep, down, you're a good person and pretty genuine, then we can talk. But getting to know people is a looong process.

I'm up for it now that I am getting to know another side of people.

(Granted I started out liking 6 people and now like 9.. like I said, slow process ;) )

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home