A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, February 10, 2007

We Really Aren't that Special

This is a lesson that I've been trying to teach myself for a while now. Why in the world would I want to do that? Well because.. feeling special can be a good thing, but it can also make you think that the world revolves around you and your issues. Its much more freeing to look at a situation and say "Eh, it happens. Even to me! I'm not that special. I am no less subject to the ups and downs of life than the bum I met on the street. Ok, maybe I've been luckier, but really life does not revolve around me."

This lesson seems even more salient after my perusal of craigslist. My living situation is much better than it was before, but I would like to live in a nicer apartment complex overall and would like to relocate to Menlo Park, which ends up being closer to the med school campus. I'm in no rush so from time to time I'll look on craigslist to see if this is even a viable option - i.e. can a find a better place thats not more expensive and nicer in a different neighborhood?

Then I came across a post. It was a guy who had just rented a 3 bedroom house and was looking to fill it with housemates. He works at Stanford and has a dog. He included a picture of himself and the dog. He's cute and his dog at least looks friendly. Then something dawned on me. He's charging the same amount that my current bf was charging when I moved in with him (before we started dating). Also, he's about the same height and build except he has blonde hair. He has the dog that my bf would have gotten if he didn't get a Doberman. He's 26 (the same age my bf was when I met him) AND his name is Brian.

Haha. Its a funny coincidence I guess. I decided to definetly NOT respond to the ad. But it made me think. If I can find one person on craigslist who is strikingly similar to my bf, even on a superficial level, well geez, we're not all that special afterall are we? I mean I guess it makes sense. There are billions of people in the world. And our genes don't mutate like crazy. Not to mention there are a lot of cultural similarities (especially if you grow up in the US), so there are bound to be people out there who sorta look like you, sorta talk like you, and sorta think the way you think.

I personally don't know how many times I've been told, "I met this girl today. She looks just like you!" Usually though, I find that the person looks nothing like me, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who actually do look like me.

Funny, its such a strange concept. I'm not special. None of us are! Go fig!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I have a craigslist story to tell for today. But not as funny =)

-HDG

7:30 PM  
Blogger Kel The Younger said...

For what it's worth, I definitely think you have a unique face. I think that's strange that people say they saw someone who looks like you.

And you're one of like five people I'm still in touch with, from a pool of dozens I knew at the time of graduation. My point is you can't be *that* un-special! :-)

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home