A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Something's Gotta Give

Most of you probably haven't watched this movie. Why? B/c its about old people. Somehow, despite my (admittedly irrational) fear of the elderly, I absolutely love this movie. Why? It's one of those movies that gives good advice about the fundamentals of being human, thats why.

I'm really not interested in giving a synapsis of the movie, as you can find that through google or some other search engine, but Diane Keaton plays a mother that gives advice to her daughter that I wish my mom gave me. Diane Keaton's daughter, Amanda Peet, lives her life dating defensively. She makes sure she doesnt get too close to anyone b/c they might make her become "unglued" (i.e. a mess). But being a wise mother Keaton begs her daughter to start "living life," in the same vein as "it is better to have loved than never to have loved at all."

I guess for the most part I'm more of a defensive dater for the the same reasons. Who wants their life to be totally ruined by the disappointments that come with love? Who wants to be that emotional. I thought to myself though, my best drafts of my personal statement for med school were written when I was extremely emotional. Tears streaming down my face and feeling what I wrote, my words were eloquent, heartfelt, and a perfect representation of exactly how I felt. Its funny that there is a scene in the movie where Keaton finally writes a broadway play after being romantically devastated. She sits at her (apple) laptop and cries and cries and cries and writes and writes and writes. For a few seconds she even laughs.. then cries again. And in the end, she has a success on her hands. Why? b/c she felt it. Her words weren't some vapid depiction of what she "thought" love should be or was like.

So in the end, trying to be the stoic, "nothing hurts me" kind of person isn't always the best attitude. Eventually, something's gotta give, and you have to get in touch with your feelings. I mean, no need to be crying at McDonalds commercials ;) ... but sometimes its great to just let it all out. How amazing is it to let yourself feel happier than you've ever felt before just because you're alive. And how cathartic is it to just cry it all out?

Shutting out emotions is like ignoring certain colors of beautiful palatte.. Sure in the end you might have a pretty cool picture, but how much more vibrant would the picture have been if you allowed yourself to use all the colors available?

Ok, I'm done being sappy. This full moon is really getting to me! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Peetie said...

I think it's true that art is better when the artist feels stongly about the subject. Maybe it comes from really caring about how the message comes across and wanting to express yourself perfectly, so more thought gets put in... Blog entries come out more interesting when the writer is feeling some strong emotion at the time, too. I wonder if blogging is an art form (yet). Haha.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home