A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, May 13, 2006

God Bless the Cabbies

There are those rare nights where an $11.50 cab ride turns into a $20 affair. If I remember to tip a cabbie I give him a buck or two at most. But tonight, the cabbie I rode with deserved the $8.50 tip, even if he didnt think so.

C: Where ya goin?
B: B & S please (i kid you not, those are the initials of my streets)
(2 minutes into the ride)
C: You don't mind if I eat in here do you?
B: Oh no go ahead.
C: Ok, just wanted to make sure.
(1 minute later)
C: Oh is it too cold? Should I close the window?
B: Oh no I'm ok. Thanks.
(30 seconds later)
C: You have a good energy you know? I just thought I'd say that.
B: Me? Oh thank you. I never knew that.
C: Yeah, I just thought I'd tell you. It has nothing to do with your looks; just your energy
B: Thanks.
(1 minute later)
C: I mean I'm not saying your bad on the eyes. If I were younger I'd hit on you. But I'm too old for you. But.. your energy, is just, so positive.
B: Haha! Really. No thats ok. Thanks. I appreciate hearing that.
C: I mean I don't mean to be forward or creepy.
B: No. I just broke up with a boyfriend 2 weeks ago, so its nice to hear those things. It reminds me of things.
C: Oooh. You're a rare find you know? You've got the looks but you've still got good energy. You know there are a lot of beautiful women in this city that are just..
B: Oh I know what you mean.
C: Yeah. I mean its like "No, thanks!"
B: Haha, yeah I know some people like that.
C: Yeah! You probably work with them.
B: Yeah. I understand what you mean.
C: But never forget your energy.
B: I'll try not to. I guess I'm just confused these days. Like I feel that love no longer matters.
C: Love matters, some. But today you need more than love. You need love, deep respect, commitment, the whole bag, its not just about love anymore. Love is all around. People fall in love all the time. But its fleeting. You have to have the other components to make it work. If you lose love, you'll still have the respect, or the commitment. So if youre hubby does something he shouldn't, you'll always have one of the three elements that will make you want to work it out.
B: Ahh. I see what you're saying. I guess today its just harder to rely on love.
C: It is. But you know, dont ever compromise.
B: Oh man! My mom tells me that all the time!
C: Its true. If you see a guy and all you want is one night with him. Let him know in the morning. Don't be afraid to tell him the truth and say goodbye.
B: Yeah, I know. It's just that I want more than that. I want the love, the commitment, the respect, you know?
C: That's old fashioned.
B: Thats so funny because I never considered myself old fashioned. I don't know who to wait for anymore.
C: You'll have to find someone old fashioned like you. Don't worry it'll happen. Remember, you have to find a man who respects his mother, loves pets, and is willing to love you.
B: Wow. haha.
C: No I'm serious. You tell it to him straight. "I dont want to do this unless its solid. If it's not we shouldnt proceed. But if you want something solid, we should give it a shot."
B: Wow.. thats good to know. I WILL stop compromising. Here you go. Have a good night.
C: Wait! You have some change coming to you.
B: Oh no. Its rare that I take a ride with someone with such wisdom.
C: No, no. Take the change.
B: Don't worry. I'm going to be a doctor some day. It's ok.
C: Oh wow. That's great. We need doctors like you. And I'm serious. If I were younger, I'd be out here waiting by the door, asking if you wanted a ride somewhere. But I'm too old for you. But remember, don't compromise. He will come. Trust me.
B: (Huge smile) Well thank you sir. I appreciate your words immensly. I will wait. I will stop compromising. You have a good night!
C: Well, just remember when you need to get somewhere call YC. And one of these nights, it'll be me, sitting here, in my hat, and I'll say "How's it goin?"
B: I'd like that a lot. Again, thank you. Have a good night.
C: Good luck!
B: You too...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is THE cutest cabbie story ever. Yay you!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

My first year in college I took a cab from the airport. The guy's name on the placard was Cal Walker. I thought that was the most meaningful, metaphysical thing ever: "Cal" like California, and "Walker" like an alternative to a cab.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home