A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, November 25, 2006

If he doesn't buy you jewelry, he'll never marry you

I was recently reminded about something I read in a "questionable" source. A while back I was doing what I usually do when I'm so completely bored my mind actually goes blank - I went to Borders and flipped through random books. On this particular day I had stumbled upon "The Rules" by that Feinstein lady. I had heard so much about it I thought I should at least skim through it. One of the "Rules" that I found particularly interesting was the author's theory that if a man doesn't buy you jewelry on a particularly significant occasion, he will never ask you to marry him. Hm.. I thought.. interesting I will read on. I don't remember the exact details. I just remember the author describing an "anecdote" where one of her "close girlfriends" was dating a "nice young man" who bought her a track suit for some occasion. The girlfriend was happy with the gift and thought it was very thoughtful of her boyfriend since she had needed one for a while. The author and others told the girlfriend that the guy would never marry her since he didn't choose to buy her jewelry. The girlfriend thought that was complete nonsense until she got dumped.. or something.

I'm not quite sure where this theory comes from. But I figured it might be a good gauge of where things are in a relationship. The reason I was reminded of this strange "Rule" was because of the gift my bf gave me for my birthday. First he tried to have flowers delivered to my apartment the day of, but the flowers I had once told him were my favorite - purple tulips.. actually I don't know if those are really a favorite, I just like flowers that are colors other than red, pink, or yellow - were out of season so that plan didnt work. He called and apologized about not getting me the flowers. I was surprised he even tried and thanked him for the effort and told him he didn't have to get me anything anyway since I didn't think turning 23 was a big deal anyway.

So when I went to his family's house for thanksgiving I sat as his computer checking email, turned around and saw some sort of stereo looking thing. I asked him what it was and he said "Oh its your birthday present, happy birthday." Wow, that was really nice of him. A while ago I told him how I was looking for a new stereo since the one I had was old and too big and clunky. He advised me to just get one that I could dock my ipod on and I told him about how I looked around but most of the ones I liked were expensive.

Given that we had that conversation in passing, it was a very thoughtful gift. But later I remembered the "Rule" and thought, hmm maybe this is a red flag? But how could it be? I don't really know. But if we break up, looking back at a time in my life where I dated someone I loved and got good gifts to boot doesn't sound so bad to me, rule or no rule. Moreover, who buys someone a track suit anyway?? I mean back in the day when there wasn't much to give a person besides chocolate, jewelry, or apparently track suits, I could see how that rule may work.. but then again, maybe I'm missing the point. All my friends who are married or currently engaged did get some kind of jewelry besides the ring as a gift for some occassion. Then again I know girls who have gotten jewelry AND dumped..later on of course. Go fig.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kel The Younger said...

Yes! [Kel slides in and nearly falls over counter] First to comment on your blog again. Do I scare people off cuz I write a lot? Whenever I comment on anyone's blog, I end up as the only commenter. :-( I'm beginning to think the world hates me, but I digress.

So your end claim is that receiving jewelry is a "necessary but not sufficient" precursor to marriage (aren't logic/philosophy phrases fun?) Not getting jewelry guarantees not marriage, but getting jewelry doesn't guarantee marriage?

Maybe you should just ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?" or a question like that.

It's good that you have a positive attitude at least. Even if the rule is true, at least you're having a good time of it! My girlfriend didn't buy me anything for my birthday cuz she doesn't exist. :-)

11:26 PM  
Blogger GyangBang said...

Haha, no one hates you. Maybe they just share the same opinion as you do, more or less. No reason to be redundant. Yes jewelry is necessary but not sufficient.. haha! Didn't think of it that way but thats a pretty succinct description.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Kel The Younger said...

Somehow I can hear my ex-roomie replying (jokingly of course) to the comment that no one hates me with, "Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet." Heh heh. :-)

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home