A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Giving Maximus Away?

So about 6 months ago, I had the brilliant idea of getting a puppy. I don't know why my feelings were so strong. I dont even really like animals, never had a pet as a kid, yet I wanted a puppy SOO bad. A friend suggested that it may be b/c I wanted something to love, much like how 14 year old girls really want pony's so they can love it like a boyfriend.. or some such theory... fair enough.

After much thought and much advice NOT to get a puppy I got one anyway.. from the beginning it was an expensive venture. But I thought Max was the cutest thing ever. I still think he is! The problem now is that I don't have the time and energy to take care of him. Between my 40+ hour a week job which requires me to travel, a social life, and a boyfriend who lives in SF I'm hardly able to devote enough attention to training and playing with Max. Having spent $200 on him this week alone (replacing my sony power cord he chewed through, partially reimbursing my roommate for her power cord that he also chewed through, and food) this dog is friggin expensive! Moreover, its still hard to housebreak him since I'm so into my work I dont notice him pooing on the carpet in the corner.

Knowing how much responsibility he is and the fact that I'm yet to tell my mother about having him since I know she'll yell at me, I feel it may be better to give him to a family that has the time and energy to play with him and nurture him. Especially b/c now that he's older he gets bored so much more easily, often staring at me and barking when I'm plugging away at my computer.

That's the practical side of me. My practical side put up a post about someone taking him off my hands. The emotional side of me, on the other hand, can't imagine actually going through with it. I am fully emotionally attached to this dog. Everytime I get an email about someone asking about him I start to cry or tear up. How could I give him away?? He'd know I gave him away.. would he always wait by the door of his new home waiting for me to walk in? Oh man.. i'm tearing up now. Or maybe he wouldnt really remember, or care, as long as his new family treated him well. Someone sent me an email asking for pictures of him, and when I went to my photo collection of him, I started crying again, remembering when he was so tiny and how much fun he can be.

A friend tried reassuring me that giving him to a family who can pay attention to him and give him a lot of love was for the best since I don't have the structure or lifestyle to do that right now.. I know it makes sense but I don't know. And I'm starting to believe that I did get a puppy b/c I needed something to love. If I broke up with my bf would I hate myself even more for giving away my beloved puppy? Probably. At the same time, I dont like having more emotional crutches in my life than I can handle, b/c when they're gone or in pain, it hurts.. a lot.

Dilemmas Dilemmas.. if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it :) Thanks :-/

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't give Maximus away! After my ex broke up with me, I really regretted giving my cat away over the summer - just so that the allergy-prone jerk would be more comfortable.
<3 your lil sis

12:49 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Rather than giving Max away, make him into something you can use, like a skirt.

2:55 PM  
Blogger GyangBang said...

Haha! Well I don't need a skirt.. I do need a nice spring jacket though.. hm...

Yeah I decided not to give Max away.. the lucky bastard. When I posted on craigslist I got one person send me an email asking about him b/c the guy forgot valentine's day and thought a puppy would be a great way to get his ass out the dog house.. uh NO THANKS! It also wasn't a good sign that everytime I got an email about him I cried :-/ So I'm completely over giving him away..it was a close call though :)

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home