A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Not to be mushy or anything..

I've never had a valentine. The one time I built up the courage to ask someone to check the "yes" or "no" box if they liked me, I got a guy mouthing to me during an elementary school assembly "i don't like you." My heart dropped! I quickly pretended that I had not actually written the note and that another friend wrote it - a friend I found out he actually did like :-/ Since the fifth grade, Valentine's day was just another day where I felt alone and unloved by any guy I was remotely interested in. In Junior High and High School, Valentine's Candy Grahams would pass me by.. even though I always secretly hoped I had a secret admirer.. well if I ever did he was definetly too cheap to ever buy me a $1 candy graham.. I've gotta make myself feel better somehow.

So imagine my suprise now when I actually do have a valentine. Should I capitalize on the moment and do every cliche valentine's day activity to make up for lost time? Well turns out, maybe due to years of being jaded, I'm not the biggest fan of valentine's day, and cliches are not my idea of fun. Turns out my boyfriend isnt a fan of V-Day either. S0 what did we do? Well first of all we "celebrated" the big day the day BEFORE! How original! :-P We had lunch instead of dinner! We saw a chinese movie about good and evil instead of a sappy romantic comedy! And we stood on a cliff watching the waves of the ocean as they crashed against the shore and watched the sunset, but it was freezing! So it really wasn't as romantic as it sounds. Instead of an exchange of chocolates and roses, I gave him a homemade card and a mix tape (not! CD) and he gave me 5 jokes about me that he's working into his comedy routine..

Well I guess there were definte elements of cliche - movie watching, eating, going to the beach, sunset watching - whatevs. The worst part of it all is when I drove back from the city I started looking back on the day and got all choked up.. in a happy way..

ok enough of the sap

I guess in the end, I'm still not the biggest fan of V-Day. But like many holidays I hate, while you don't have to be in the total spirit of the holiday, and buy into the evil consumerism of it all, holidays can give you a good excuse to express how you feel about someone - an opportunity that may not arise otherwise.. especially if you aren't a mushy person.. ahem..

Well I'll stop here before I get too sappy and people want to shoot me. (PS I'm still not writing those 100 notes.. but I'll keep you updated, as I would really want someone to smack me out of the trance.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home