A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Friday, September 09, 2005

The Bang in the City

So quite honestly, transitioning to city living was a little harder than expected. I did not realize that living around campus kept me inside the Stanford bubble even though I wasn't attending classes. Moving to SF has definetly initiated me into the infamous "REAL WORLD" where no one gives a sh** about you, everyone's out doing their own thing, and you better learn to be street savvy quick or you'll easily be duped.

But I can't complain too much. My roommate especially gave me a good way to transition into a new lifestyle. Within 48 hours of moving in my roommate had taken me to a Greek Festival (real people from Greece!), salsa dancing, and reggae dancing. She also wanted to take me to a soul festival but I had to get SOME work done so I declined. Within 3 days alone I already had 5 potential dates! It's been a whirlwind of excitement so to speak. But even with all the excitment there is still something missing. After hearing the fifth "Hey Elsie, this is [insert guy's name]. I met you [insert place here] blah blah, you should give me a call" message I realized, wow, in the city you sure do meet a lot of people. BUT you start to realize that you're not in Kansas anymore. The people you meet didn't necessarily go to the Stanfords of the country, they're not all doing consulting work, or anything remotely interesting.

If we're keeping count of the 5 guys that called, I only returned calls from 2 of them. And by next week I predict I'll be back to the drawing board. So why did I give the other 3 my number? I dont know, being nice? Yeah nice enough to let you call me and get my voicemail time after time. Ah well. So what to do next? Well scramble to meet Stanford people of course! That's right, all the people I took for granted I'm trying to make amends with. Something like "hey so and so, I dont know if you remember me, but I'm friends with so and so... so you want to do something sometime??"

B/c just for the rest of you who are not out of the Stanford bubble yet, real life sucks! And the only way to drown your sorrows is to create your own meaning in life and surround yourself with people who will feed that fantasy... So here I go folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home