A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Pleasantly Surprised

Last night I was invited to a party by one of the girls in my early martriculation program. I was weary of the party for a few reasons: 1.) The girl was a Stanford Bio major and while not a complete dork, didn't give off the "cool" vibe either 2.) She said "Yeah I live with engineers. They're a little nutty, but our parties tend to be lots of fun." Um since when did engineers and fun go together? 3.) I haven't partied with Stanford kids in a while but when I thought of it I was just reminded of how dorky everyone was and how the dorky guys spend their whole night talking to some of the most unattractive people about boring ass topics like the mechanics of motion in the African dung beetle.

So with that in mind I realized it was a Saturday night and I had two options, stay in or at least go be entertained by the dorkiness of the Stanford crowd. I called Rex before I made a decision so that she could weigh in on my options. In the end we decided that it might just be worth it to go point and laugh. Oh and we also decided that I shouldnt wear any make up or make any effort to get dressed "up" since I'd be sorely disappointed if I did. As Rex said, "You know those nights that you get all done up and then its just a disappointment because then you have all this make up on your face that you can't put back." Ah yes, been there many-a-time.

So equipped with drop bottom low expectations I went to the party. Ok there were lots of people there - good sign. But I didn't know most of them - bad sign. Not too many hotties were there either - bad sign, but expected. And lo and behold I ran into a sorority sister. We chatted for a bit, she knew most of the guys who lived in the house and she was an '05 so she knew a lot of the people there. Ok.. so done chatting w/ the sister, go get a drink. Walking around with my drink.. wow I really dont know ANY of these people.. Oh I know! I'll find the girl in my program.. that'll kill another 15 minutes.

Then out of nowhere another girl in the program taps me. Ahh! Saved. And she's standing with the girl who invited us. And surprisingly the girl who invited us is not as uncool as I thought. Its weird when you see a different side of people (i.e. the drunk side) and the person turns out to be a lot different than you expected. So the rest of the night I chatted with the two girls in the program, then made fun of this REALLY drunk guy who kept saying really weird but funny things, then chatted with some other stanford and non-stanford kids.

So all in all, it wasn't the worst experience and I actually had "fun." Although I should mention that the people I ended up talking to either didnt go to Stanford or went to Stanford but had been out of school for at least a couple of years. So I guess I have to say that the theory that having low expectations is the best way to go since those are the nights where you're most likely going to be pleasantly surprised.

AND I've already got a couple of holidays planned out according to the non-stanford folk - For halloween I HAVE to go to UCSB and for Mardi Gras I HAVE to go to Cal Poly.

We'll see. Something tells me that during those festivities I might be in a library studying instead :( Who's the dork now?!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rex said...

Nice!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home