A day in the life of the Bang

I'm too lazy to look up evidence to support my ideas. But anyone can find evidence for anything. So why even bother? :-)

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Funny observation - B school vs. Med School

I went on a tour of the hospital today; a tour given by performance executives i.e. people who went to B school and now run the financial ins and outs of the hospital. There were a few things that stuck in my mind, but the most interesting was a particular moment where I was reminded that deep down, even if I'm interested in financial work or policy work, I'll always be a doctor at heart (when I finally get my MD that is.)

We were given a tour of the hospital's $4 mill surgery/ER simulation center. The director of the program talked to us a bit about what it took to bring the technology to Stanford and what the technology can be used for. She mentioned that there is now a push to start having surgeons be certified in areas of expertise and one way they could get this certification would partly be dependent on them working on simulation equipment for X amount of hours. The B school kid standing next to me immediately said, "Wow, so this is becoming a big business market." Meanwhile in my mind I thought, "Wow, this technology could really increase surgeon accuracy and performance, which may lead to better patient outcomes!"

Go fig..

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Da said...

let's do both!

as i sit here begrundgingly studying for the gmat.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Kel The Younger said...

Somewhere in here is a joke about a physicist, a mathematician, and an engineer. I just know it! :-D

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home